Thursday, January 21, 2010

Lots of new things to speak about! So much has happened that I never reported on. Eeeesh...

I went to a salt water fish store called Ocean Exotics and finally purchased a small clown and a porcelain crab for my tank. I can easily say, I will never shop there again. The crab turns out to be a decorator crab and begins destroying my feather duster tubes and peanut worm tubes. Thank god I had no coral in the tank at the time.

Then the clownfish died within ten hours.

Was my tank cursed? No, that store is just filled with liars and sickly stock. I dare you to argue with me! Anyway, I went to Aquatropics and bought a real porcelain (took me 2 days and disassembling my rocks to get the decorator out!) and a healthy clownfish (whom I've named Ron on account of his 'red head'). 3 months and they're still going strong. Sort of.
So, the first clownfish died, the decorator crab was donated to a store, and the new inhabitants were doing good. Well, until the porcelain crab began to lose his legs. All but one. Sigh. Later, while staring at her with tear filled eyes, I see eggs in her little tucked up tail! So mommy was just stressed! I can happily say that a month later and she has regrown all but one leg.
Not everything has had a happy recovery though. I managed to completely kill the most beautigul Galaxy Coral ever. It is now a shriveled husk of rock sitting at the bottom of my tank. On a happy note, some buttons and pulsing xenias are doing quite good! Well hopefully anyway.
I have managed to get ahold of a single sexy shrimp who has taken to sticking her little grubby hands into the buttons, hurting one of them pretty bad. They don't open as readily now. Or maybe something else is causing that? Corals are so picky! Ron isn't so difficult! He sticks his head out of the water and demands food. Like some sort of odd aquatic doggy!
Other big news, I now have a 12g tank cycling! So far I've got a yellow sponge, blue chubby starfish, and several red featherdusters.
I'll have more pictures and a more interesting post later, but for now, I'm tired and needed to give a quick sum up of my recent stories and adventures with the tanks!
Dee


No comments:

Post a Comment